Safe Return to School Plan
Kempenfelt Bay School welcomed back students on September 8, 2020. Under the direction of our Safe Return to School Plan, students are learning in the classroom full-time. This year, students who need to be remote are able to access their class live via Google Classroom. To learn more about our programme and our Safe Return to School plan please watch the video below.
Our Commitment to the KBS Community
KBS continues to:
- fully prepare for students to be in class learning through conventional delivery with school every weekday;
- ensure our small class sizes reflect suggested guidelines;
- provide students the opportunity to participate in co-curricular activities where possible;
- support students as they resume regular social interaction with their peers;
- keep students in their grade cohorts for all learning, social and co-curricular activities
Key Take-Aways from our Safe Return to School Plan
Changes to the Daily Routine
- Before Drop-Off: Before any student, staff or faculty member can enter the school each day, they will need to complete the prescreening to ensure that they are symptom free prior to entry. KBS will be partnering with EduSafe for this process
- Pick- Up: To minimize contact between students in different classes, we will be introducing a staggered drop-off and pick-up schedule
Small Class Sizes and Cohorting
- Given our small class sizes, we will maintain cohorting for every grade (JK-8)
Cleaning and Sanitation
- All of the bathrooms in the school will be cleaned more frequently on a specific rotation built upon when the students in that area have recess and lunch or use the area with frequency
- Students in Grades 4 through 8 are required to wear a non-medical or cloth mask (that covers the nose and mouth) while indoors with the exception of when they are eating or drinking and this requirement applies to both public and private schools
- Students in Grade 3 and under are encouraged to do the same but are not required to wear masks
- All faculty and staff must also wear a mask when indoors
To review the most recent version of our complete Safe Return to School Plan, please click here.
Our Re-Entry Committee:
The Safe Return to School Plan was created by our Re-Entry Committee. This committee consists of a health care professional who specializes in pediatrics, a member of law enforcement, a supplier of PPE, parents, board members, and teachers.
The following agencies and guides were consulted when creating our plan:
- Simcoe Muskoka Public Health Unit
- The Ontario Ministry of Education’s “Guide to Reopening Ontario Schools”
- Public Health Ontario
- CIS Ontario’s “Updated Guidelines for Reopening Independent Schools for the 2020-2021 School Year”
- The World Health Organization’s “Considerations for school-related public health measures in the context of COVID-19.”
- Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
If there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 that involves a student and/or employee at Kempenfelt Bay School, an update will be posted here. Any updates from the school will be shared by email with the school community as information is available.